Meeting Notes

Dave/Wally Call Nov 20-2015

  • Video interviews planned for Tuesday ??
  • Wally->Puerto Rico Jan 6-16
  • Prezzo re Heritage Project: Process, Result, Implications for Future (nuts, bolts of process), what we learned, how we can use, objective(fund raising, recruiting, connecting), post-mortem, what we learned
  • Next step – draft ppt; share process with coaches
  • Giving Day Plan
  • Database
  • Magnets
  • Video
  • Alumni chapter – web, database, fees (no), homework

 

Meeting Notes October 1

  • Mike reported that Repros plans to install 3-door wrap next to Bulletin Board Thursday 10/8.   Dave G to confirm with Margaret
  • Mike wil investigate best plan for kick plates on south tunnel doors (polish existing, install new ones, paint existing ones).  Wally and Jim volunteered to complete the work
  • Magnets – Dave G to send possible images to John M. for quoting (done).
  • Short term and long-term views were discussed.  Long-term all agreed we should investigate becoming and official CSU Alumni Chapter.  John has sent information to Joe and Dave for their review.  No commitments at this time although both Joe and Dave agreed to help define and ramp up the chapter.
  • Short term punch-list includes kick plates, door wrap, Community Corner Logos, Heritage Corner power cut-out and thank you video.
  • Jim asked about promotion of current blog – including Press Release (TV, Plain Dealer) to encourage capturing of email addresses for past swimmers because long-term we will need to continue to connect.
  • Dave will review various views of data base compiled over last few months and share with John to integrate with Millenium database.  Email and snailmail views will be compiled.  Much discussion about phone lists without resolution because of lack of resources to test out and verify.
  • What is status of Cody latest list before he left ???
  • Joe and Paul to review recent options for locker rooms.
  • Promotion avenues include email, twitter and facebook (both the team page and alumni group).  Paul to connect with Swim Swam to get them to promote current blog post.

Meeting Notes September 23

  • Graphics for timeline and Heritage corner are being installed.  Community Corner and Bulletin Board will follow.  Door wrap is still TBD – will probably make it for Saturday
  • Timer board and video board are up and running – with compliments from Colorado Timing.  The installer referenced U. of Missouri – see link here: http://www.mizzourec.com/facilities/aquatic/50m-pool/.  Very stunning pool – I wonder what Bob would think of the open space and variable lighting?
  • Video board has a problem with displaying white-based backgrounds.  Will be repaired after Splash Bash.
  • Mike arranged for HARDWIRED internet connection to the Kiosk – Way To Go.  We will now have fast, uninterrupted connection.
  • Inside three-doors next to NLB have been painted.  Tunnel areas next – after graphics are installed.
  • Post-golf event will be planned following the Golf Game with venue determined at the time

Meeting Notes September 17

  • New timer board installed earlier this week – nice going Mike and Joe
  • Reg data from John: golf-5, post-golf-1, dedication-3, bbq lunch-6
  • Post-Golf dinner – Wally will connect with Rob and Jim to reserve local restaurant
  • Phil is working on the Bulletin Board graphics to re-format to match format of Bulletin Board : 64″ (wide) x 46″ (high)
  • All graphics have been printed except timeline which will be printed by next Tuesday and then installed
  • Status of the “surround”  not clear; Alt plan B will be to install the left/right Donor Panels and mount the PC on the wall.  If that happens we may create small foam core to mount under the PC on the wall pending the surround completion
  • Door wrap – repros reviewing; TBD whether finished by next week
  • Bakery for cake: A cookie and A Cupcake – Tremont or South Euclid will do the cake.  Paul and Brian will help out with the logistics
  • Dave G will draft bullets for the Dedication (John Parry MC, followed by Dave, Paul and President Berkman
  • John will confirm photographer for the Dedication at 1030 with possible follow-up during parent/team/alumni BBQ
  • Thank you gift – all agreed magnet with a photo mounted on a card for mailing in envelope would be best option.
  • Review/comment on Community Corner Logos – Wally and Tom
  • Locker room status – Paul ??
  • Status of touch-up painting & internet for Heritage Corner –  Mike ??

Meeting Notes September 9

  • Tunnel doors were touched up (slice/dice) and tunnel roof was re-heated and more firmly attached (initial installers were concerned with under-surface which turned out to be a non-issue so the existing graphics were simply heated up to better bond)
  • Fire safety system in tunnel is strobe/audio alarm/sensor.  Painting or modifying color may not be possible.  Mike will check
  • Wally is in touch with thank you video production team.  Work in progress to schedule in-pool team thank you.  Final version will include timeline and heritage corner – not yet installed.
  • Golf outing registration was light however will be better once Heritage Team members sign up
  • Packets for ASCA were stuffed, tours were schedule for Sept 10
  • Mike reported maintenance on the 3M platform was in progress – may not be completed for Fitter/Faster meet 9/12 however will be finished for Splash Bash.
  • Dave to work with Shane to confirm order of presentation for Heritage Project Dedication (President Berkman usually last but not always)
  • Wally presented to ASCA – about 75 in attendance.  Went well.  Jack Swarbrick’s presentation dealt with swimming at national level – and his views on future of men’s swimming especially.
  • Mike will schedule painting of the inside (pools side) of the three doors just east of the NLB and will get paint and arrange to have touch – up done around the tunnel entrances to the pool adjacent to Community Corner and Heritage Corner.
  • Mike will check on access codes for private wireless wifi in pool and request hard-wired internet connection to the Heritage Corner interactive kiosk
  • New American flag will be installed once provided by facilities
  • Extension PO for Flying Hand Design was approved, as was progress payment for Repros
  • Joe will continue to work with Paul on locker room improvement; he will also discuss sharing opportunities with John Parry
  • Phil will have proof prints for Timeline wall by end of week for review/feedback from committee
  • Still open: confirming Repros can completed the design for 3-door wrap next to ticket booth (Dave G); Final selection of logos for Community Corner (Wally, Tom); fabrication of Heritage Corner “Surround” (Dave, Margaret)

Meeting Notes September 2

  • Mike mounted PC Heritage Corner and confirmed all works OK.  He will check with IT team to see if possible to have hard-wired internet connection via the ticket booth.
  • Colorado Timing installer will be at CSU 9/15-16 to tune up video board, work on harnesses, connectors and such and install the new timer board.
  • Phil has provided color selection for touch up paint surrounding the exits of two tunnels.  Mike will have paint purchased and has arranged for that painting plus the 3 doors just east of NLB to be painted prior to the event.  NOTE: Installation of CC and HC can proceed independent of the touch up painting.
  • Repros  evidently had a bad batch of materials and will be replacing the tunnel door graphics and most likely the ceiling graphics.  Mike will investigate options for painting part of the fire safety strobe/horn in tunnel and under Magnus on NLB.  NOTE: lighting is fine; no additional LED’s required.
  • Paul reported that the ASCA flyer has been approved and will be printed by Friday with CSU team working on the stuffing Monday morning.
  • Brian Bailey is on board for the BBQ Saturday following splash bash
  • Wally is working with Al Nozak on the thank you video.  Cost estimated at < $300.  Focus is on quality result without being rushed for time.   NOT required for heritage weekend.
  • Several have asked about additional events Friday/Saturday.  Friday could be Becky’s or closer to the golf course.  Post-BBQ events could be in downtown or the flats.  Plan is to work out plan in real time.
  • Dave sent out Community Corner Logos Selection with current and additional logos.  All to review and comment by end of week.
  • Phil focused on Timeline Wall.  His intention would be to send out at least two samples (sparse information and dense information) for team to review and comment.  Then would proceed on completion, final sign-off and release to Repros.  Tentative date next week however still much work to do.
  • Team agreed best format for the 3-door wrap would be horizontal format using low banner with Magnus in lower right plus action “jumping into the pool” picture.  Dave will work with Repros to determine if they are able to do the artwork and printing/installation.
  • Moving forward we need to be aware of all work done by Jay Kaughman for us at Brothers Printing – he’s provided several batches of printed materials.
  • Dave to send URL for Heritage Weekend blog so others can contact OHIO Masters (Dan and Harry) to promote. NOTE: bitly for the blog is: http://bit.ly/heritage-15
  • Bulletin Board will be combination of NLB, Alumni Photo Collage and Heritage Website URL.
  • Mens/womens scholarships and  locker rooms were discussed. Advent of CSU mens Lacrosse will result in two additional women’s scholarships this season and three next. Paul will get estimates for new lockers for men and women although may not pull trigger on mens update pending ability to combine two current rooms into one

 

Meeting Notes August 26

  • Notes re Heritage Weekend: If after the warmup dinner alumni wish to continue, Becky’s was suggested. Jim and Wally to promote golf event. We will send Invite to participate to Masters Swimmers also. Paul is still trying to reach Brian Bailey to cater Swimmer/ Parents/Alum Barbeque. President Berkman to officially dedicate Heritage graphics at 10:30 am (exact time to line up with a break between events during Splash Bash).
  • Regarding the ASCA World Clinic flyer and tour, Paul to write the flyer and get approval from Compliance office. We will ask Jay Kaufman to donate printing costs. Paul has volunteers to assemble Coaches packets on Labor Day.
  • All agreed that painting should be completed around the two tunnel exits to the pool adjacent to Community Corner and Heritage Corner. Color scheme to be determined by Phill. Mike said he would take care of it. The doors to the Natatorium open out to the tunnel and must be appropriately painter to compliment the design. The USA Flag  will be moved to the southwest corner by Mike by end of next week. Not sure about Ohio flag.
  • We all discussed and agreed that the name of aquatic facility is The Robert F. Busbey Natatorium (in regard to slight modification of name in South Tunnel).
  • Mike reported that the Colorado Board has arrived and is on the deck ready to be installed. Mike will contact Chad of Colorado for installation soon.
  • Notes from Dave G (not on call): Heritage corner graphics files have been manually transferred to Repros; Text on walls for South tunnel wall graphics has been modified, installation still on for tomorrow and Friday; Community corner graphics sign off proofs expected tomorrow; Wally-thanks for leading the charge on thank you video; Phill to provide inputs on color for pool touch up inside tunnels; after final decision on picture selection for three doors we will request Phil’s inputs (after timeline wall completed); Timeline Wall graphic design in progress – will be close however no concern yet.

Meeting Notes August 19

  • Graphics Update: Coaches, swimmers, divers, NLB installed; South Tunnel released; Community Corner (simple, opens space, not racks, focus on logos not formal text-like “postings”)  and Heritage Corner inputs to Phil.  His priorities complete CC and HC this week then continue on Timeline wall.
  • Timeline wall will be organized as large multi-fold brochure for our review – probably 8-10 panels.  Initial drafts next week.
  • Paul will own BBQ registration using 5th year swimmers; BBQ will be promoted at Splash Bash however late registration will simply be taken at BBQ.
  • Joe suggested painting around the two tunnel entrances in the pool to better fit in with wall graphics.  DAVEG to get colors / suggestions from Phil so MIKE can organize the work.
  • After much discussion following additional suggestions from Joe the changes were agreed to by all: more action on the 3 doors next to ticket booth and more alumni focus on BB.
  • 3 doors: need action and excitement also consistent with other treatments in PE building.  Appropriate photo – men’s team winning 2013 HL.  Dave G to provide options from archives then Wally, Joe and Paul will review for final selection.  Use of men’s team photo is appropriate because they did win, other years are represented, and women’s team photos are in all aspects of the project.
  • Heritage Corner Donor Wall is unique and will not be repeated.
  • Ninth Lane banner will be adopted for use on Bulletin Board ( will require additional design time from Phil to re-format and re-“install” alumni photos).  Will ALSO include Heritage Website URL.
  • Paul will discuss locker room options with teams and provide thoughts to the Heritage Committee.  All options open as initial brainstorming begins.  Then will review vs budget available or possible.
  • Paul will have co-ed team picture taken for mounting above S Tunnel
  • Mike reported that additional $2,200 cost for moving scaffolding into the pool (when flower planters moved in front of triple doors) was approved.
  • ASCA has approved use of CSU insert in attendee package (rarely done, this is quite unique) to promote new pool graphics.  Paul owns flyer and lining up swimmers (12) to help stuff over Labor Day (which helped “sell” the flyer promotion to ASCA exec committee.  Sept 10 is current date for pool availability – Will also be available at other times ???
  • Heritage Weekend Event Schedule: Golf Outing 9 am Fri; Alumni Reception @230 with dinner @330 Friday; Splash Bash 8 am Saturday, Champions Campaign Dedication 10:30; Parent/Team/Alumni BBQ 1:30 Saturday.  NOTE: DaveG forward REVISED splash-bash flyer to Heritage Committee including request by US Masters to start 800’s at 8am

Meeting Notes August 14 2015

  • NLB Photos – estimate 650 per panel for total of 2,000 alumni photos overlooking the pool
  • Mike reported connecting with Margaret to remind her to send invoices via snailmail to billing
  • Homecoming events: Jim owns golf outing, Rob Salisbury owns reception (wally to confirm) and Paul owns splash bash and BBQ
  • Friday alumni gathering will be $25 to cover cost, NOT a fundraiser.  Objective is social meet and greet.  Reception at 230 dinner at 330 – correct?  Also – confirmed not likely to interfere with invitations to Distinguished ALumni Awards banquet at 630
  • John will get one URL per event on homecoming website.
  • John will get pricing on refrigerator magnets; other options from supplier

Meeting Notes August 5

  • PO submitted to Co Timing; two year warranty
  • Who owns golf outing ?    Jim ?
  • Michelle Rieger is contact for pool access for Margaret for installation next week (scaffolding shows up Friday).  NOTE: pool will be drained this Friday for filter maintenance; will re-open next week
  • Jim Lamastra was president top grad  senior plus more – GPA, cancer ordeal, leadership
  • Splash Bash flyer done; waiting for waiver to get Carolina BBQ as supplier
  • Berkman – likely to attend to dedicate graphics
  • Donors – NEW LIST TOMORROW !
  • Re heritage weekend the following events will go on CSU Homecoming web site and once scheduled we’ll promote on Heritage Website: Friday – Golf Outing at 9am and alumni reception at same place later in afternoon (time TBD 3-ish); Saturday Splash Bash at 8, Heritage Graphics Dedication 10-1030 tbd then parent/team/alumni BBQ 130 or 200 time tbd.
  • Dave and John to update heritage project budget by Monday

Meeting Notes July 30

  • Phil switched to 6×6 format for NLB
  • Timer board – paperwork done, waiting on Joe to connect
  • Golf outing set for Sept 25th; 16 played in ’14, target is 24 in ’15
  • Team BBQ lunch- $10 for alums; John will add to homecoming web site
  • John – will confirm BB used with John Parry
  • Confirm area for picnic – John will do; Paul will take care of food

Meeting Notes July 22 2015

  • Work on golf outing continues
  • Paul will review splash-bash materials at next meeting
  • South tunnel final design is WIP
  • Community Corner graphics are WIP
  • No current plans for bulletin board graphics fro Phi – we own it.
  • John McCreery will confirm OK to use BB with John Parry
  • Re Colorado Timing – they are only game in town.  Mike will get contact information from Kate Harrigan (answers to Phil) and give to  Joe.
  • John reported new alumni website will be up in two weeks for use in scheduling homecoming events.
  • Mike Lehto will paint replaced doors east of NLB

Meeting Notes July 15

  • Mike has been in touch with Phil Woods at Colorado Timing
  • CSU will provide 12 volunteers to stuff ASCA folders day after Labor Day
  • Penn Ohio Plaque – do we have sample?
  • Use donor list from records of Champions and Heritage annual fund then review non-Champion donors to be sure of names
  • Large files have been submitted to Repros

Meeting Notes July 9

  • Installation scheduled for Aug 10-14; Graphics to Repros: target 7/21, latest 7/24
  • Donor list(those who donated to Champion’s Campaign or Heritage Project)  nearly complete.  After final review we will post to confirm name spelling and ask for any additional donations.
  • Timeline database now complete. DWG will publish for review and promote via email and FB.  Timeline Wall items (greatly reduced set) will be created for Phil’s review by 10 July.  Some items will be removed, some ICONized with focus on: attractiveness, ability to represent key events in life of the program and balance between athletics and academics.  Concept of photos displayed within rather than above the wall was discussed.
  • Photos for NLB submitted to Phil previously; a few additional will be added.
  • Mike has purchase req for timer display board complete.  He and Joe will review, Joe will connect with Colorado Timing re best possible support policy then it will be ordered to be in place by Sept 26 Splash Bash and dedication.
  • Heritage Wall will include donor names, Kiosk, Heritage URL/branding and key team attributes:  TEAM is forever / Excellence in all we do.
  • Plan for door wrap on hallway entrance is to use adaptation of NLB graphics with labeling added after scaling to fit the door.
  • Bulletin board graphics – scaled version of Heritage Corner – and second Kiosk not likely to be ready by 9/26 opening.
  • SOF has been issued to purchasing for Phil’s work on wall banners and NLF graphics.
  • Plans for 9/26 include Splash Bash, brief dedication/thank-you that will tentatively include comments from Dr. Berkman and a team/parent/alumni BBQ hosted by Paul.
  • Looking for IT help to install the PC / kiosk in the pool and on the hallway bulletin board.

 

Graphics Update – June 16 Dave/Phil conference call

  • Swim/Dive/Coach banners complete.  Working with Repros to print a portion of Busbey Banner as test case
  • Ninth Lane Banner inputs to Phil complete.  He will ID pictures that need review for whatever reason then committee will decide to use or replace
  • Tunnel graphics complete with exception of edit to move swimmer around fire safety conduits.  OPEN ITEM: date lights will be updated and confirmation if LED track lights will be added.
  • Community Corner – Mike/Wally provided additional events/groups to be considered.  Dave to review and provide draft list of what will be included on the graphics
  • Heritage Corner being re-designed.  Major elements include Donor List, Kiosk including “how to use”, Web Site promotion and high-level values – current proposal: Excellence in all we do; Team is Forever
  • Wrap for 3 doors next to ticket office budgeted however no design concepts have been drawn up at this time.  Current thinking is team pictures  perhaps championship teams.

Meeting Notes June 10

  • CONFIRMED HOMECOMING EVENTS: 8:00- Splash-Bash registration; 9:00-First race; 10 or 10:30 (tbd) Heritage Graphics Unveiling and Thank You’s [President Berkman has been invited and tentatively accepted, must keep to 15 minutes at a convenient time between heats; 1:30 Paul Graham sponsoring BBQ for team, parents, alumni and invited guests (on the lawn weather permitting, including a cake to continue the celebration).
  • John McCreery owns getting all swim/dive events on the Homecoming Schedule
  • Wally will provide draft of key events in program history (DONE) to dave who will make first pass at representative pictures.
  • First women’s swim team was 1972-3.  Prior to that Jewell Owens worked with a club team – “The Anglefish”.
  • We don’t have pictures of 72-3 or 73-4 or 74-5 women’s teams
  • Dave/Wally/John will complete list of donors to the Champions program including Heritage Donors and Roast paid attendees.
  • Mike/Joe will negotiate best possible price for timer board replacement (at least best maintenance package) with objective to have in place by early September – prior to Homecoming weekend 9/26.
  • John will connect with Julia Ross re call center support (if available) for verifying swim/dive phone numbers
  • Wally working with intern to cross check millenium vs wally’s contact list

Meeting Notes June 3

  • Team photos for NLB (men, women not coed) sent to Phil along with small number of representative pictures; Heritage Website updated, email sent to alums.
  • Going forward agreed to re-open download site or use email – whichever is easiest to include description in file name of photo while minimizing effort on monitoring the downloads.
  • Mike reported that the banner sizes were reviewed by Phil and Repros at last week’s walk-through.  Minor changes were made and documented; scale and approach unchanged (that is good 🙂
  • Link for IU pool for review by team is HERE.  Notice much of the long wall is taken up with banners of statistics (which they have a lot).  The short wall is massive large pictures all displayed together.  The degree to which this captures their heritage is not clear.  Please review and comment – although I see no inputs that will affect our plans.
  • Tentative plan for Sept 26 (pending discussion with Paul): Splash-bash at 8; brief break in the action prior to halfway point that will include (to be arranged) a few comments of thanks and encouragement by Dr. Berkman; after SB Paul will host a BBQ where we may also arrange for a cake celebrating the pool and kicking off the next “pay it forward” phase.
  • Agreed a good way to proceed is focus our annual fund-raising for scholarships around CSU Giving Day
  • Wally/Mike to ID list of groups/events that have taken place in the pool; will use selectively for the Community Corner.
  • Next major focus – finalizing the content of the Timeline Wall and selecting the 25 or so photographs that will help tell the story and evolution of the Fenn/CSU swimming and diving program.  Dave to update and publish latest table then all committee members will review and comment.  Then alums will be asked to review and comment as well
  • Agreed the photos must be artistically pleasing while factually correct/correlated.  Alums will eventually review however will not be actively involved in selecting the photos.
  • Dave to connect with Dr. Berkman re Sept 26
  • Dave/John to agree on list of Champion Campaign donors for committee to review, then alumni to review (option for scholarship donations) and finally be included on a graphic in the Heritage Corner.
  • Time for June 17 call will be determined prior to the call, which will NOT take place at the normal 3pm ET slot.

Meeting Notes May 27

  • Heritage Website has been updated with nearly-final version of NLB and Heritage photos. Action: committee members please review to make sure the site is working an all platforms.  If thoughts on balance between years and eras as well as other aspects of the program – practice, meets, training trips, community) please send along.  Also thanks to Joe for his review and feedback of photos.
  • Dave to send email to all alums with Sunday noon as the final chance for input.
  • Philip has completed the wall banners and is going through sign-off review with Repros with the intent to 1) confirm the hand-off process and 2) print a small portion of one banner (Busbey).
  • Repros and Philip will complete walk-through the pool on Thursday.  Mike will accompany as final measurements are made and one last view of “size and space” is completed and confirmed.
  • Joe and Mike will proceed with discussions with Colorado Timing on the amber timing board – with an eye toward improving our warranty/ maintenance position for both the new timer board and existing video board.  Target is still installation in August.
  • Reviewed options for wrapping up the Champions Campaign with dedication ceremony.  Saturday Sept 26 makes most sense because of other Homecoming activities, Splash Bash that day and likelihood of other alumni activities such as BBQ and family outings.
  • Next up on the schedule is confirming dates and events for the Timeline Wall.

Meeting Notes May 20

  • Wall banners to be complete and ready for sign off this week.  Next step: produce a small section of a banner to verify hand-off process to Repros and see a sample.  Conference call with Repros Fri (22).
  • Emails requesting inputs were sent to 388 friends/alumni.  141 were opened; page was viewed by 72 via “click throughs.  Email is here: http://conta.cc/1Ho199I
  • Joe/Mike will review options for timer board – specifically will the IST board drop into the existing system, have other teams used this board in conjunction with the Colorado Timing System, and what is the price for the board including any interface hardware required.  Then Mike and Joe will connect with CoTim to get quotes for the replacement board and especially the cost of a 3-5 year maintenance contract.
  • After discussion it was recommended that the dates on the two coaches banners will be the dates of their head coaching tenure.
  • Major focus at this time: select 500 photos to provide to Phil for cropping, enhancing and preparing for inclusion in Ninth Lane Banner using NLB Photo guidelines previously distributed.  Target is 500 photos including 123 men/women (not coed) team photos.
  • Summary of next steps: Jim and Tom review pictures from Dave G and ID years for those without dates; Dave take first pass at selecting 350+ pictures (which when added to the 120 team pictures will equal ~~ 500); Dave shares selection with Heritage Committee end of the week; all welcome to comment, however Joe will review target pictures over the weekend; early next week revised list will be shared with all friends/alumni.
  • Dave will review banner size with Phil during Friday call with Repros
  • John has nearly completed  list of all Champions Campaign donors – will cross check with attendees at Heritage Weekend Wally Reception
  • Next up will be the Timeline Wall review
  • Wally/Mike will work on community groups use of pool when Wally returns.

 

Meeting Notes – May 13

  • All photos from download site archived – site is closed.  Last chance email from wally sent 5/14.
  • Phil to start final design on all banners. We will use the following diving banners: Sammie entry, Danny spinning, Danny taking off.
  • Heritage Corner may include reference to values, however focus will be the larger picture – the entire Heritage Project including Champions Campaign.  The interactive kiosk and Heritage Website will be a key element.  Names of Champions Campaign and Heritage Project donors will be included in that area.
  • Need community corner inputs from Mike and Wally – See April 8 meeting notes
  • PO issued to Repros
  • Colorado rendering – still open item for Dave G; Mike/ Joe to review options with ISTime and review maintenance options with Colorado Timing.
  • The Timeline Wall may include some team pictures however it will not feature ALL team pictures along the top.   Too many pictures, too little space.  Team pictures will be included in the Ninth Lane Banner and of course on the Heritage Website.  It is also possible to have the team photos scrolling on the kiosk.  Including a possible second kiosk in the hallway outside the pool.
  • Donor gifts were discussed – consensus was a nice refrigerator magnet with graphics and Heritage Site URL.  Cups/mugs/other were considered too expensive although we may still investigate for small number of donors.  John to investigate costs and options for both.
  • Dave/Phil will immediately begin work on obtaining a full size sample (2′ x 3′ or so) for a section of banner to verify design process, file hand-off to Repros, material planned and resolution/clarity.
  • Wally will discuss options for an “open pool” during the World Clinic (Sept 7-12)with Paul and Mike.  Jim will look into options for the Ohio Coaches Clinic (Sept 11-12).
  • Confirmed plan for dedication on Saturday, Sept 26 – no details discussed or responsibilities assigned other than Wally connecting with Paul about open time for the above events and tentative date for Splash Bash.

Meeting Notes – May 6

  • Reviewed notes from 4/29 meeting – thanks Wally in absentia.
  • Phil saw the light at the top of the North Tunnel.  Electrician mentioned possible to also add additional track lighting.  All looked well, and Mike proceeded to add $2k to graphics budget and request PO for Repros.  Should be able to lock up this week after getting clean quote for current tunnel plan (walls and ceiling).
  • John/Mike will issue Short Order Form (SOF) for Flying Hand so Phil can invoice and get paid as progress completed.  Phil and Dave to ID several portions of the work in <$2,500 increments.
  • North tunnel pic from Mike – sent to all
  • Lengthy discussion of new timing board.  Joe/Mike to investigate IST (istime.com) as option for timing board.  They will also contact Colorado Timing to request extended maintenance given continued problems over last few years.
  • Kudos to Paul for getting out all the hand-signed/commented thank you letters to Heritage Project contributors
  • Dave G to take CO Timing board pic and develop rendering – even though only option current is the red LED version.
  • Other large discussion over best way to include team pictures in/around the pool.  Concern that pictures on timeline would be too small.  Other options included outside hall on brick wall, around the pool, and surrounding the thank you plaques on the front of the bleacher sections east/south.  Pictures will be on the kiosk in the pool with optional kiosk in the hallway. ACTION ITEM:  Wally will lead discussion to review the objectives of having pictures in the pool when he returns from CSCC.  Important that pictures be memorable and viewable.
  • John to connect with Herb Fletcher re visit to CSU and/or borrowing his scrap book pictures for the Ninth Lane.

Meeting Notes – April 29

  • We discussed Timeline Wall and the inclusion of Team Photos. After discussion we agreed that further study was needed. Factors are properly categorizing by years the photos, visibility to the visitors to the Natatorium, traffic flow, and how it would fit in to the graphic design plan.
  • Timeline information was discussed. Tom Fattlar, Jim Starrett and Wally worked on the timeline this past week. Wally will do more inputting and then. Among information added was Most Valuable, Academic honors, Special Events information to the the Time line. Wally will review this weekend and send final edit to Dave and on Baseline with additional event information. Wally praised Tom Fattlar and Jim Starrett for their work on this project.
  • Exact wording ( nomenclature for categories)  for the Timeline must be determined
  • Mike Lehto reported that Colorado did not send mock up on Display Board because Chad ( their representative was in Saudi Arabia). Mike sent him the image to photo shop and he was to do so by May 1. Mike reported that a Colorado representative looked at new board repair and did not have a solution for bugs. Mike is exploring other options. Mike also has attempted to reach Joe Stockwell concerning negotiation price and fit for new Board.
  • Mike reported that Canister Lighting had been completed for Northeast tunnel entrance to Busbey Natatorium. Picture to be sent.
  • Committee must contact alumni from different eras to review pictures that have been sent in. There has been some activity in terms of downloading pictures in recent day but more must be done.
  • More Community Information is needed for Community Corner
  • Wally Reported he will be at CSCAA Convention next week and will not be limited or not able to be on Conference Call. Wally giving presentation on Fundraising and Friendraising talk at College Swim Coaches Convention in Evanston, Illinois.
  • Phil working on editing photo shoot of divers for project and will submit to Dave.

Meeting Notes – April 22

  • The diving shoot sponsored by Lisa and Rich Roberts was very successful.  Many thanks to all who participated.  Pictures are HERE.  Phil will create several drafts for the diving banners for review next week.  Dave G has download the hi-res versions for archiving.
  • Replacement of NORTH tunnel lights has been delayed.  When complete Mike and Phil will review for applicability to the South Tunnel.
  • Mike is working with purchasing on the Repros PO.  Because of the $50k limit on POs (before another level of approval kicks in) he will include estimate of south tunnel lights – a limit we will not hit however this will enable us to complete the order for all three areas and not worry later.  A good strategy.
  • DaveG sent email thank you to friends and alums with links to Joe’s Thank you  – http://bit.ly/viking-strong – and the Heritage picture page-  http://bit.ly/heritage-photos .
  • Wally, Tom and Jim are working on the contents of the Timeline wall using the word doc as template.  Focus will be to cover all areas with examples of them.  Will also work on the wording for each segment.  They will complete by May 1 then DWG will format to share on Heritage Website with friends and alumni to get feedback and fill in any missing blanks.
  • Timeline wall header photos – discussion as to the use of team pictures for the top line in each column of the Timeline wall.  PROS – each team picture displayed in prominent location in heavy traffic area.  CONS – too small ?   Pictures will also be on heritage web site.  Dave to review with Phil regarding size and appearance.
  • List of key events from Wally and Mike on hold pending completion of the timeline list.
  • DaveG to confirm Wally is on the heritage@csu-swimming-diving.com email list.  UPDATE – given information being added to site from alums the following people now receive email from “heritage@csu-swimming-diving.com” :   Wally, Joe, Tom, Jim Starrett, John Mc. and Dave G.  If for any reason this does not work for you please let DaveG know.
  • Dave G sent email to friends and alums thanking them for project support.  John will provide list of other friends (from February appeal letter) so Dave can send to them as well.
  • Joe will connect with Mike on scoreboard cost as well as getting a picture of the rendering with new board.  No action with purchasing until after Repros order is cut.
  • Dave G will be away next week – Wally and John can you manage the call?

 

Meeting Notes – April 8  *** NO MEETING APRIL 15TH  ***

  • We have received some pictures – for example “2012 2013 Swim Team Pics” that have many near-duplicate pictures.  After discussion we agreed to review such folders and delete similar pictures – saving the most appropriate from a series.  Dave G to create a copy and  post on dropbox for team review.
  • Diver photo shoot: John M. to work with Tom to identify a way to pay Dale McDonald next Thursday; Mike L. will be in the pool to handle make sure everyone is able to get in and to handle light settings; Dave G to confirm everyone’s schedule and confirm plans with Phil, Dale, Rich and the divers (Samantha Sposet will join) are clear on expectations for the 1-4 photo shoot.
  • Photo shoot sponsorship: Heritage Committee will pay for photo shoot then provide opportunity for Roberts family to make a donation to offset all or a portion of the cost.
  • Mike Lehto will meet with Tom Tontimonia 4/9 to confirm  graphics POs for Repros and change order PO for Philip McFee.
  • Agreed will use the word version of the Timeline Wall items on basecamp as master.  Best way is to download the document, make edits then save-as with new date and upload back to basecamp,
  • Mike Lehto will ask CTS for rendering of new scoreboard when talking with them about fixing the control unit for video board.
  • Philip and Mike met with electricians regarding the tunnel lights.  They will review work done to upgrade the North Tunnel lights and if appropriate will adopt that scheme for use in south tunnel.
  • Wally and Mike L. will meet in a coffee shop of their choosing to sketch out key international events that have taken place in the pool and record them on a napkin using a semi-non-permanent pen to minimize ink streaks before next steps which may include 1) mailing the original to Dave G, 2) providing it to Renee for digital capture, or 3) taping it to the wall in the Community Corner.
  • Everyone on the committee is responsible for recruiting one or more volunteers to help review pictures and ensure we have representative photos from all eras.
  • There will not be a conference call Wed April 15th.

 

Meeting Notes – April 1

  • Phone Updates to John – Reminder
  • PO status for Repros and Flying Hand – approved by plant services and marketing; now “in purchasing” ; Mike expects PO’s  in a week or so.
  • Mike reported on the electrician’s visit to the pool – recommend canned lighting in “other”  – north – tunnel; LED’s in “the tunnel”; Mike will review tunnel lighting with Mike, Electricians, Philip to make sure all in agreement; concern lights light up both tunnel and ceiling; Mike to schedule;  will also add AC plug for the PC to the heritage wall – via the ticket office.
  • Agreed that timer board with amber lights – current quote $18,350 – is the best solution for us.  This is a drop-in assembly that will work exactly same way as current board – no change in user interface.  Colorado Timing will provide a mock up using pictures from the pool and pictures of their proposed assembly.  Mike to send latest stats and pricing to Joe and Dave.  Joe will work with Mike on final negotiations.
  • Agreement to proceed with the addition of the new timer board AND continue to work on additional graphics elements – hall graphics, dressing rooms, etc – with additional funding anticipated for the approximate $5k additional cost of completing BOTH the board and additional graphics.
  • All photos include on the Ninth Lane Banner will also be available on the Heritage Website.

Meeting Notes – March 25

  • PLEASE PROVIDE A LIST OF NAMES AND “broken” phone numbers to John by Tuesday COB local time.  He will deliver to database team to update alumni records to save time on future campaigns. Does not have to be fancy – just provide name and broken phone number via email or xls or marked-up list.
  • Repros and Flying Hand quotes in the hands of purchasing; Repros PO under review by Physical Plant – signoff expected soon.
  • Wally will take Kevin’s CD’s and additional hard copy pictures to Renee – request her to scan new pictures then upload all to dropbox.  Dave G to upload additional pictures (Wally Office, 2014 Conference meet at CSU) to existing albums on Heritage Website.
  • Dave G to re-send xls used for Timeline Wall concepts; Tom/Wally/Jim to review previous hand-written notes with additional information and then request help from Renee to capture to electronic form.  These two documents will then be compared/combined and will be used as basis for requests for inputs from alumni.  Then one document will be created, inputs will be reviewed for consistency, and that will be the basis for the final Timeline Wall.  Pictures will be accepted through May 1 – then Phil will take what we have and begin the process of formatting for final design of the Ninth Lane.
  • All in agreement on priority of new timing board to augment video board.  DaveG to provide updated budget with that assumption for review at conference call next week.
  • Kiosk to be used in the Heritage Corner was discussed.  Current plan is to use Dell XPS 27 touch-screen enabled PC because of the flexibility to display wide range of graphics.
  • John M. has provided draft thank you letter for Paul to use in sending out thank yous.

Meeting Notes – March 18

  • Philip McFee submitted his change order for final graphic design, file creation, handoff to Repros and archiving.  His estimate of $5,500 is higher than my $4,500 September estimate because of additional elements and slightly higher complexity.  Dave G to send to John M. and Mike L. for processing into CSU Purchasing Department.
  • Mike Lehto has submitted Repros quotes (for banners and for wall graphics) to CSU purchasing (Dave/Mike reviewed the two detailed xls created during the quoting process)
  • Once PO in place with Repros Dave to connect with Margaret to get Repros inputs on mounting PC to the wall – are they familiar with our system and can they help mount?  NOTE: Ideal solution would be to have local alum take responsibility for the mounting using scheme and bracket previously ID’d by DWG.
  • Wally working with John to finish sending thank-you notes to all donors. IN ADDITION John will work with Paul to create a standard letter of thanks from the team which will then be signed by Paul with a small note as appropriate.
  • Dave G explained process for obtaining and subsequently placing pictures onto the mosaic section of the Ninth Lane.
  • Kevin Rapien has additional pictures on CD’s.  Dave to connect with Philip to ID best way to get the contents of the CD’s to the heritage website.  Could be physically delivering CD’s to Philp or simply uploading CD pictures using dropbox.
  • Focus this week will remain on getting out all the thank you’s.  Next week team will start getting out the word to alums regarding “send us your pictures”.  QUESTION – Would it make sense to send out a short email of thanks. We still don’t really know where alumni are getting their information – mail, email, social or phone?
  • Discussion regarding the importance of replacing ’80’ vintage scoreboard (no longer fixable; parts not available) with more modern LED based system.  Cost of upgrade per Colorado Timing estimate: $18k for standard red/amber system; $23k for system using green/blue LEDs – also 5 month lead time.  All in agreement: “more important to do this than some of the lower priority graphics elements not actually planned ( hallway graphics, hallway Kiosk, stairway graphics, locker rooms, hallway door wraps, – – -).  Also discussed: PO is being issued to Repros for banners and wall graphics.  PO has not been issued for the tunnel ( design, fabricate, install ~ $5k).  ACTION: team to consider priorities and this issue will be reviewed in two weeks.    Possible sources for funding the scoreboard: Champions Campaign, Athletic department, Pool restricted account, or special donation.  Also agreed: if donors are still making contributions to the Champions Campaign we will of course accept them; we will not put out a special “ask” for this project.
  • Quick discussion about cost savings for reducing the size of the pool graphics – does not appear to provide significant cost savings because cost of design and instillation are much larger than cost of graphics fabrication.
  • Project involvement: Heritage Team has been working non-stop since before last september.  Some may want to continue to monitor progress without taking active role in final phase.  Dave to set up Basecamp account for entire team however emails will ONLY be sent to those who desire to continue actively on the final design/fabricate/install.

 

Meeting Notes – March 11

  • Jim reported that Tom Morse, now relocating to Loveland CO would like to share pictures from NCAA events.  He will re-connect with Jim in a few weeks after boxes unloaded
  • Jim visited Ohio State pool, locker rooms and building.  He will send notes and photos to the committee
  • Mike Lehto has not heard back from CSU electricians.  Separately he said electric supply distributor at Saturday event thought LED track lighting would not be a problem.
  • Dave G to re-send Master Schedule It is Here:  MASTER SCHEDULE
  • Several questions regarding list of donors, final tally and thank you plans. Dave/John will discuss off line then John will re-send as appropriate and necessary.  Current plan: University will thank all donors with tax letter.  Wally has sent many notes already.  Joe, Jim Starrett, Wally  and John McCreery will make sure everyone has received a personal response from at least on committee member.  One action is for John to provide list of names including phone, email and mailing address.
  • AGREED: All Champion Donors will be acknowledged on a plaque or other appropriate graphic – “classy”, not too “gaudy” in the Natatorium.  Most likely location: in the area of the Heritage Corner.  Dave/Phil to work on options for review with others.  NOTE: Names will be in alpha order; no special markings for $$ donated because our priority has always been to encourage participation over amount donated.  The plaque will be suitably worded re the Champions Campaign.  Donors to include original Champions Campaign donors, those who designated funds be directed to the fund, those who purchased tickets for the Heritage Weekend Wally Roast and those who have made or will make donations to the Heritage Project prior to a cut-off date still TBD (prior to the graphics design and plaque fabrication).
  • Tom suggested picking a date for a dedication ceremony to officially wrap up the Champions Campaign.  Current plan is to incorporate with  2015 CSU Homecoming weekend – most likely date Saturday, September 26.
  • Dave/Joe/Phil to review size of banners one more time just to confirm scope within the pool.

Meeting Notes – March 4

  • Action items:
  • Connect with Tom Morse re NCAA pictures – Jim Starret already sent email
  • Provide overall schedule and key elements for team review – Dave G.   Current plans is to set up scaffolding starting Fri Aug 7 with installation Aug 10-14
  • Everyone to ID who they will call/email to thank for donations.  Send list to Wally and John Mc. ASAP – no later than Thursday noon your local time.
  • John will revise the list of donor names to include phone, email and address
  • Update project budget with latest fundraising results – Dave G
  • Dave G to set up account on basecamp.com for project management
  • Wally will review vitae for pool events and make available for use with Community Corner
  • Wally/Jim to connect with Bill Dorenkott at Ohio State to see if Jim can visit Woody Hayes Football Training Center this weekend.
  • Discussions:
  • Over $1/4M raised for Champions Campaign since Sept ’09
  • Donations still coming in
  • Who was first swimmer in the pool – Bob Busbey or John Wilson?  Possible blog topic.
  • We should consider “wraps” of some type for he lobby doors next to bulletin board.
  • Discussed small gift for donors; nothing available at this time.  Possible idea – pictures (s) of the pool on a mug or water bottle along with Heritage Website URL.  This would be after installation complete.
  • Was there an action to connect with John Leonard re World Conference in Sept or is that needed?  Not sure what was agreed to
  • Consider best way to include John Parry on team meetings or at least keep him posted of progress going forward
  • Last meet of the summer will be July 24-26
  • Discussed options for capturing values/care-abouts on the Heritage Corner walls

Meeting Notes – Feb 25

  • University electricians will visit pool 2/26 to review lights
  • Facebook group members can be added to database however will need to ask if OK to send information to them
  • Rental income from events was mentioned as part of  discussion about other candidates for donation in support of scholarships
  • Agreed no further promotion re giving day or matching gift – focus should be on swimmers at horizon league
  • Focus next week will be THANK YOUs and start of gathering data and pictures for Ninth Lane and Timeline Wall

Meeting Notes – Feb 18

  • Send blog on pool history and Community Corner to OHIO masters email lists (WALLY posted to FB, Dave to send email)
  • Wally to write blog on WHY DONATE   DONE
  • Message at this point: we are close; need participation
  • Discussion re “what is the denominator” and “what is best way to connect with alums who may not have heard”?   Agreed phone is best however time and correct phone numbers both limited; Joe’s experience not great with his list: 7/11 were bogus numbers
  • Wally to text request to alums in his contact list
  • John confirmed previous letter winners have been reviewed / entered into Millenium
  • Discussion over tunnel lights: Mike to get options from facilities; DWG to get feedback from Phil
  • DWG to review facebook list and current email lists; share with group
  • Wally to review his contact list and provide updates to John Mc.
  • Wally/Dave to promote Busbey/vanDijk blog to swimswam  DONE- Kevin Rapien got it published

Meeting Notes – Feb 11

  • Phil has provided a draft design schedule backing up from our install date of August 11.  If anyone is interested in reviewing, verifying assumptions and converting the email to a .doc for review by the team please contact Dave G.
  • There were no new donations since the previous meeting
  • Wally suggested contacting swimswam.com to get the Busbey / van Dijk article placed.  DONE thanks to Kevin – they normally would not run a “please donate” article however given the history they did run it.  Kudos to Kevin, the article is HERE .
  • Mike L suggested a few names of groups who should be represented on the Community Corner.  He will send along to Dave.  Blog post is HERE.  The post has not yet been promoted on social media.
  • Wally posted the Busbey / van Dijk article on OHIO Masters website.  Its HERE.
  • Dave G to send links to Dan Cox, Gerald Meyer and others at OHIO Masters.   If anyone has a few cycles to send those please contact Dave G.
  • Postcard has been sent.  Link for re-printing or forwarding is HERE.
  • Wally to search for Pool Register with Prince Philip’s name
  • Dave sent follow-up to Mike Davidson; will re-try now that districts have completed.
  • Tunnel Option II was overwhelming favorite: Bright Blue.  Wally, Mike to review picture selected and other picture options.  Dave G to send link for stock photos – DONE.  AFTER THE SMOKE HAS CLEARED:   Dave G current thinking is “ship it”.  My previous comments about providing options for additional/future pictures of swimmers/divers on the sides doesn’t make sense given the many other places (bulletin board, timeline, empty spaces on south wall, Heritage Website, etc) such pictures could be placed.
  • Wally/Mike to confirm that a record was set in every event during the ’77 and ’79 open course meets in the pool.  If so (or even if we think so and no one feels to the contrary) we should either comment on our post or better yet comment on facebook or twitter referring to the original post.
  • Dave G to review sources used for recent mail/email to make sure we have best source of information available ( millenium, facebook, bounces, opens, inputs from alums, other sources, blocked emails, roast attendees, – – -) going into last two weeks of the fundraising project.
  • Lisa Roberts continues to take pictures of divers in search of one or more pictures for the Pool Banners.  Very difficult assignment, however she continues to be enthusiastic.

Meeting Notes – Feb 4

  • Mike is continuing his work to get quote for tunnel lights.  Location for the Heritage Corner PC will be centered.  Target for having lights up and electrical socket for the PC is mid-April
  • Dave/Wally to investigate Wrestling’s posts on Twitter – what do they link to – a website?  facebook page?
  • Big discussion over media guides (now on line HERE) and rosters (a mixed bag of .pdf, .jpeg and .doc files.) Agreed to: recruit help from Rene and interns to 1) list key events/descriptions/history items in each media guide and post that as an “index” of our history (way to think Tom !), and 2) create a text file or files from the various roster documents that we could used as a basis for updating the names on the team pictures.  Action, Dave to send email to Tom for use with recruiting help from Rene and her team.
  • Important to review the types of information we have (or need) for the Timeline Wall so we can publish specifics for others to comment.  Wally to have Rene & team type up the list of outstanding swimmers so others can review.  We did not ID specifically who would put together the list of all stuff to be posted as an update on the timeline blog – any volunteers ?
  • Continued discussions about how to get calls or emails sent to alums.  Wally suggested Mike Davidson – late-80’s swimmer, late 90’s coach-  (DWG is already connecting with him to figure out a way to get a post/email/blog from him with minimum effort on his part). Helen Curak also mentioned as way to connect with women from early 90’s. BY THE WAY she already has volunteered as a relay captain.  Wally can you find out if she has made any calls ? NOTE: there were only 5 phone numbers and 12 emails on her list so it should not have been a challenge to connect
  • Who else can we contact to help out – what about contacting the team captains – they should have at least name recognition with swimmers/divers in their era.
  • Agreed that we would hold off on calling major donors who have not contributed recently – perhaps they can help with the likely shortfall anticipated after Feb 28.
  • Homework assignment for team: How can we take the light blue concept of Option II for the tunnel and incorporate pictures (which can be changed later) on both sides?
  • Update on schedule-WIP with Mike and Paul re installation of graphics.  Target date: August 10-14.  These dates are clear on the calendar.  Phil is working on a schedule of deliverables backing up from July 22nd which is when Repros needs final artwork.
  • Next up on the social media front: Community Corner, “rest of the story” re pool speed featuring Busbey/van Dijk, work with Jordan on next email (hope to get in two by end of campaign), begin to ponder link to University Giving Day, and possible other blog that will be highly visible if pulled off correctly.

 

Meeting Notes – Jan 28 2015

  • Mike will check with electricians on lighting options for tunnel.  Baseline plan is to request LEDs along both sides as in Option I – even though we are likely to go with Option II approach. Mike will also mock up location of PC on Heritage Corner wall and share – then we’ll use that to specify location of outlet on the wall.  Dave to send measurements and details to Mike.  DONE  Note: PC is 17 1/4 high by 26 1/4 wide.
  • Bill Edgar sent photos of Jeff Dalman to DWG.  Jim to contact Mark Krusinski to see if he has any diving photos.
  • Wally to look for Darnell Ford’s email for Dave
  • Wally and John to put poster behind glass BB next to elevator (will be removed in a month or so when elevator and doors get “wrapped”.
  • Dave to draft bullets for postcard.  Phil will produce, John and team will print, address and mail using first class postage.
  • Mike to work with Kevin on getting Heritage appeal graphic on scoreboard.  Note: size of jpegs is 144 x 256
  • Joe is or will be contacting people on his Captain’s List.  Wally to check in with other relay captains.
  • Wally, Tom and Jim met re the Timeline Wall contents.  Many items discussed, new information obtained, other info in progress.  All agreed important to get all possible information, then decide what goes on wall and what is on Heritage Website only.  Also how to “pass down” the habit and process of updating academic and other information each year.  Tom or Jim will send out short email to team with progress so far (thus sparing Dave the embarrassment of potentially omitting something from the notes).
  • Dave/Jim to create blog post highlighting the Timeline Wall to further promote project and obtain inputs from alums.

Meeting Notes – Jan 21

  • Lisa Roberts took photos at Gannon meet.  Setting and framing OK.  She will take more at Wright State using feedback from Dave G and Phil.  DONE – getting better; still working on clarity
  • Repros has confirmed no price increase for 2015.  DaveG requested a timeline quote based on finish date of Aug 26.  Phil was also appraised of the time schedule.
  • Mike L. provided exact dimensions for tunnel walls/ceilings.  Dave to get a quote.  Phil is working on more details.  Once lights are selected we will engage with building facilities. DONE
  • Dave posted link to recent blog post on several twitter pages.  Results tbd.  bitly link here if anyone wants to post on their page or send along:  http://bit.ly.com/Finish-strong:   http://bit.ly/Finish-strong
  • Look like we will continue with one Facebook PAGE and one Facebook GROUP.  Dave is working with Greg Murphy to try and eliminate one of the two official FB pages.
  • John reported no additional donations since Jan 1 – he will provide list of any new donors next week  DONE
  • Wally, Tom and Jim will meet Wed Jan 29 to discuss timeline contents
  • Regarding Relay Captains and calling in general, all team members will make best notes possible of who was called, results, bad numbers, etc and provide to John M. to help the school maintain best possible list.  John will also get status from call center via Julia.  The overall goal for Heritage Project re alumni lists is to provide as much data as possible regarding completeness and correctness of alumni lists for S&D.
  • John will pull a most recent Millenium list (based on latest directory project) to make sure we have latest data for final funding push.
  • ALL – be sure to follow up with any leader gift candidates who have not responded since initial “ask” in October.
  • John will get list of email returns from Jordan and snailmail returns from Julia – wally to review.   DONE – list sent to wally
  • Reaffirmed matching gift will end Feb 28.  Fundraising will be wrapped up shortly thereafter however donations will always be accepted.
  • Dave to provide set of Heritage PPT slides to Wally for executive meeting set up by John Parry –  – Alt Plan B – wally will use foam-core boards from Heritage Weekend
  • Dave to send email to alumni from recent years using list from Alice.
  • ASCA World Clinic will be in Cleveland Sept 7-13.  Program is HERE.  Wally – exactly what part of the program will take place at CSU  – you mentioned Fit/Faster tour?
  • Target date set for completion of Heritage Project by end of August (staying away from Busbey meet mid-June and Lake Erie Championships mid-July)

Meeting Notes – Jan 14 call –

  • Wally will make a post to the unused FB page  CSU Swimming and Diving Alumni (  HERE-remove ) redirecting everyone to the active page  Cleveland State Swimming & Diving Friends and Alumni   ( HERE-active ) .  The team page stays as is. Cleveland State Swimming and Diving  Its HERE-team.   The two active pages have been added to the Heritage Website.  NO FURTHER ACTION NEEDED AT THIS TIME.
  • All agreed that changing plan to use artwork (graphics or sketches) doesn’t make sense.  Plan will be to obtain recent pictures if possible or fall back on stock photos if necessary.Wally to connect Dave with Lisa Roberts to take additional diver shots for use in the hanging banners – DONE.   Lisa has connected with Paul and Rich and will make first shots at Gannon TODAY (Jan 16).
  • John to send a list of recent donors to the team.  DONE
  • Dave G to send most recent list of Relay Captains to team for review.  DONE.   PLEASE READ AND REPLY TO DWG JAN 15 EMAIL REGARDING RELAY CAPTAIN STATUS, EFFECTIVENESS AND PLAN TO GO FORWARD.
  • Bill Edgar was mentioned as additional team member for photo reviews and comment.  Who’s action to connect with him?
  • Dave G to send links to pictures used for concept graphics along with archived pictures of swimmers / divers   DONE  (Archives HERE for reference).
  • Wally to discuss status of Media Guide with Paul and SID and provide status to team
  • Graphics for BB  next to ticket office is complete.  John will print/install.  DONE – see John’s pictures.  John will create bullets for the update sheet DONE and add QRC code  DONE
  • Wally to work with John/Paul/Mike to ID other possible locations/sizes for additional posting for the graphic.
  • Dave to send a few JPEGs to Mike L. and Kevin R. for use in posting at meets.DONE
  • Consensus on Tunnel Graphics was to go with the lighter/brighter Concept II.  Dave G to inform Phil and obtain thoughts on “competitive” treatment.  WORK IN PROGRESS
  • Timeline Wall – Wally, Tom and Jim Starrett to review existing elements and create draft for posting on blog page.  Then next step: create actual verbiage to be used in graphics design.  Meeting Set for Wed Jan 29

 

Julia/John/Dave call Jan 9

  • Reviewed giving numbers and participants
  • Mail returns ~ 50
  • Email stats: Sent – 167. Bounces – 7, Opens – 59 (36.9%), Clicks – 11 (18.6%)
  • Reviewed “the message”; agreed on positive, all inclusive > half way there- DWG to update donation page
  • Relay captain status – to be reviewed with heritage team; general feeling: very limited number of calls with unknown results
  • Next steps: revise donation page (DONE), review Relay Captain status and add new if possible, Update blog regularly, publish current team pictures, media guide status ???, post to FB and T, email second round, send postcard firstclass reminder
  • NOTE: Second annual CSU giving day will be Feb 26; we will provide last shot reminders prior to that day

Discussion Topics – 7 Jan. 2015

  • John reported we have taken in $23k from 30 alums since September.  This includes Dave’s $8k.   Wally will reconnect with those on his list; important to confirm relay captains have made donations; many eras don’t have captains or have too few.  No actions or conclusions from this discussion other than to stress importance of phone calls.
  • General consensus was to provide messaging in line with : good progress however we need help to make our goal; match will expire Feb 28; please help with a gift of any size.  Dave G to draft messaging for review by others.
  • Important to stress current team in our promotion and messaging.  Dave G to resend pre-Christmas email for everyone to review.
  • Design, fabrication and installation of Environmental Graphics likely to proceed in three phases: Ninth Lane, Banners, and wall graphics.
  • Wally and Joe to review options for diving banners.  Possible approaches include: use stock photos, get pictures for current/recent divers, consider use of graphics for swimming/diving banners.  Action: Dave to send links to diving pictures and concept graphics – DONE
  • DWG next steps: Promote timeline in a blog; make sure picture upload directions are clear
  • The 2015 American Swim Coaches Association will hold its world conference in Cleveland Tues 8 Sept – Sunday 13 Sept.
    Information here:  http://swimmingcoach.org/portfolio/2015-asca-world-clinic/ [DWG comment – their agenda is very full – not clear any room for events at CSU].

Update on 17 Dec. topics not discussed today

  • Wally has sent relay captain information to all “wally-1”  captains on the list.  He will also work with Tom Fattlar and Chuck Kunsman on Group 9.   Wally will update status when he returns next week.
  • Dave sent information to Herb Fletcher and David Harris and has contacted or left messages with everyone on the DAVEG list.  All agreed this will be last week for calling until  January.  Dave will connect with Dave and Herb to get status.
  • Jim and Joe will report separately on their status.  Please be prepared to give update next week.
  • John will close loop with Mike Lehto to confirm price, capability and functionality of the kiosk mentioned in John’s previous email.  Link is here:  https://www.fastsigns.com/LearningCenter/WhitePapers/digital_kiosks  Cost for these kiosks was in the $8k-$10k so no further discussions.
  • John will work with Julia to ensure our committee has information required to thank donors.  This will include who but not how much.  Separately they will work to enable Wally to send personal notes to donors who make significant contributions.  John/Wally to meet next week.
  • Dave has given Phil a rough draft mockup for the Bulletin Board (next to ticket office) poster.  Phil is also working on the mock-up for the tunnel.  BB graphics expected this week; initial tunnel concepts next week.
  • The concept posters for divers were made using stock photo art.  We need to identify pictures available (we have Darnell Ford pictures from Casey era) and possible new sources (Danny Roberts’ mom – Lisa).  While not critical at this time we will need to get started on these long-lead items unless we decide to continue with stock photography – which is NOT desireable (however better than not having diver pictures).
  • Donations from all sources including Heritage Weekend and beyond – not including the Heritage Committee – are ~$8,500 not including an additional donation of $5,000.

Action Items (closed items will be retained one week then removed)

  • Dave – purchase Dell XPS 27 and configure – Purchase DONE, configuration in January
  • Dave add stock reminder to Donation Page
  • Dave confirm email alias for relay-captains@csuvikings-swim-dive-heritage.com

On the Radar Scope

  • All in agreement that proceeding with the Heritage Corner makes sense
  • We should connect with Ohio Masters (Dan Cox, Harry Greenfield) and Lake Erie Swimming (Pam Cook) after alumni and friends letters go out
  • Important to expand our list of alumni email addresses
  • Wally – ID assistant coaches so they can be included in letters or contacted for inputs (lower priority – after Relay Captains are set up).
  • Compile list of diver pictures; get new ones

Heritage Promotion – Key Events

  • Customized envelope, letter, graphics, giving card, return envelope in the mail Fri 11/21; rcvd in San Jose Sat 11/29
  • Call Center and Relay Captains start follow-up calls firs week of December
  • Email sent Monday 11/24
  • Appeal Blog posting when snailmail ships – DONE – Nov 30.  Its HERE
  • Blog appeals from Dave, Joe, Jim, Wally ??
  • First batch of relay captains emails out – done 12/15
  • Ninth Lane Blog: Please provide your pictures; post to website; PS: please donate  DONE, its HERE
  • Timeline Blog: Please provide your suggestions for the timeline – NOTE: final will remove redundancy, i.e. Coaches only mentioned once, when they take over
  • Community Corner Blog: targeted to Ohio Masters, Lake Erie and other “Friends of the pool” to make sure we get all names on the graphics – NOTE: graphics will be designed so names can be added over time without looking strange.
  • ABOUT THE BLOG POSTS: Once published they will be promoted with Facebook and Twitter